Broadening Financial Strategies: Practical Approaches to Address Loss and Damage – The Global Shield against Climate Risks
2 December 2023
10:00 – 11:00 AM (GMT+4)
Ghana/CVF Pavilion | Blue Zone | COP28
After nearly a year of negotiations in the Transitional Committee, COP28 has to take the next step in translating the COP27’s hallmark decision into concrete action to support marginalized people and particularly climate-vulnerable countries in responding to Loss and Damage. The side event will explore topics such as how negotiators and other stakeholders can ensure that the additional support from climate and disaster risk financing reaches the communities most vulnerable to climate change. Additionally, the session will delve into strategies for governments and organizations to guarantee the swift and efficient disbursement of the funds. Lastly, the session will investigate methods to maximize the existing instruments, coordination, and dialogue established by initiatives like the Global Shield against Climate Risks.
The side event will generate increased awareness and understanding of the Global Shield against Climate Risks, with a specific focus on its achievements in the pathfinder countries. It will showcase the positive impacts of the Global Shield on vulnerable countries, highlighting successful case studies and lessons learned. The event also aims to inspire and mobilize support for the Global Shield, encouraging other countries to contribute to scale up its impact. Additionally, the event will foster dialogue and networking opportunities among stakeholders, facilitating knowledge exchange and collaboration for climate resilience efforts.
The event is organized by the Ministry of Finance, Republic of Ghana, and the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, Federal Republic of Germany.
- Hon. Dr. Henry Kwabena Kokofu, Special Envoy of the CVF Presidency Ghana & Executive Director of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Svenja Schulze, Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany
- H.E. Tiofilusi Tiueti, Minister of Finance, Tonga
- Juergen Voegele, Vice President for Sustainable Development, World Bank
- Tshilidzi Marwala, Rector of the United Nations University & Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Jwala Rambarran, Senior Policy Advisor at the Caribbean Policy Development Centre (CPDC)
The event is moderated by Ekhosuehi Iyahen, Secretary General of the Insurance Development Forum.
If you would like to attend the event in person, kindly RSVP by filling out the below form: